[R] Download advice please!

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 09:57:54 CEST 2005

Sorry, but I'm just an ignorant Linux user!
I have a silly question.

Situation: Now that R 2.1.0 is out (Thank you, to all
concerned!) I'm about to go off and download it and
all the packages.

What this means in practice is trotting off to my "local"
(and brand new) Internet Cafe with some CDs, where I can
get the lot over a fast link and burn it onto a CD or two.

However, believe it or not, this is a Windows shop.

No problem about the main R 2.1.0 tar.gz file. That's
a one-off. The problem arises with the packages (there
are nearly 500 of them).

If I were doing this on Linux, then I'd just give 'wget'
the URL of the CRAN directory where they're all stored
(no doubt with some exclusions for old stuff that I
don't want), sit back, have a coffee or two, and then
make the CDs.

However, talking with the folk at the shop the other day,
they didn't come up with an all-in-one operation for this,
from which we concluded that it's a matter of clicking
individually on each package file.

If possible, I'd prefer to avoid this.

So, Question to the Informed: Is there a Windows procedure
which allows you to download everything in a directory
(sorry, folder) in one operation?

With thanks, and best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861