[R] generalized linear mixed models - how to compare?

Nestor Fernandez nestor.fernandez at ufz.de
Wed Apr 20 18:38:24 CEST 2005

Dear all,

Thanks for the responses to this post.
I understand that the topic still requires more research. However, I am a non-statistician in a desperate need to analyze my ecological data with the currently available tools. Please excuse again my non-expert question: Would I commit a huge mistake if I use the likelihood estimates from GLMM as a "good approximate" to the "real" log-likelihood, and therefore calculate AIC from it? Should I use instead any of the existing corrections for AIC? Otherwise, can you suggest any other model selection approach suitable for generalized mixed models?

Nestor