[R] when can we expect Prof Tierney's compiled R?

Jason Liao jg_liao at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 17:50:54 CEST 2005

Dear Prof. Tierney,

Thank for very much for replying and we all appreciate what you have
done for the R community. Currently I have been spoiled by R. I would
love to be 100% R.

I talked to Andy Liaw yesterday about how to make R faster. Maybe we
need to explicitly declare variables in the critical part of R code
that intends to be compiled. This is still a much better solution than
going to C or Fortran. The new Stata 9 has a matrix language which they
claim to be as fast as C. It requires explicit variable declaration.

Jason