[R] Strange behavior in Lattice when superimposing

Adam Lyon lyon at fnal.gov
Tue Apr 19 09:19:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to do a simple superimposing of two density plots and am
seeing strange behavior (I haven't seen this reported elsewhere). This
little snipit will make it apparent...

a = rnorm(10)
b = rnorm(100, mean=-2, sd=0.5)
densityplot( ~ a + b)

This is supposed to superimpose the two distributions on the plot, as
if they were in different "groups". But the resulting density plot is
goofy -- it looks like it is mixing the two distributions instead of
plotting each one separately. In fact I can prove that the
distributions are being mixed...

groups = latticeParseFormula(~ a+b, parent.frame(), multiple=T)$groups

If I understand things correctly, the groups vector has length = the
combined size of the input vectors (e.g. 110 in this case). The values
in "groups" are factors indicating which input vector is being pulled
from. So there should be 10 a's and 100 b's. But in fact I get...

sum(groups=="a")
[1] 55

sum(groups=="b")
[1] 55

So indeed Lattice is for some reason mixing the vectors and that's why
I'm seeing the incorrect plots.

I'm using Lattice 0.10-14 on R 2.0.1 for MacOSX. Details are below...

  platform = powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
  arch = powerpc
  os = darwin6.8
  system = powerpc, darwin6.8
  status =
  major = 2
  minor = 0.1
  year = 2004
  month = 11
  day = 15
  language = R

I'm not going to have time to try R 2.1.0 for a little while. Is this
problem fixed in that version? If so, then I'll try it sooner.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

--- Adam

Adam Lyon
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory