[R] Compatability with Tiger OS X 10.4

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 07:43:16 CEST 2005

No one _can_ know.  Mac OS 10.4 is unreleased, and things can easily
break before release.

It is working on pre-releases.  One problem is that Mac OS 10.4 (don't
think you need two tens) will use gcc 4.0.0, which is also unreleased and
its release candidates have problems compiling R (see the R-admin manual
for R 2.1.0), including on Mac OS 10.4: there are also questions about how
`properly' it runs R.  The biggest problem we found in gcc 4.0.0 has been
fixed within the last week, and it is unclear if this fix will make Mac OS
10.4.

The R Mac OS X maintainers are working hard (thank you Stefano and Simon)
on this and I expect them to succeed, but quite possibly by using patched
tools or non-standard options (such as using a static Fortran runtime).

Watch this space (or R-sig-mac if it needs to be technical).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk