[R] R 2.1.0 GUI language

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 21:07:46 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Stephan Tolksdorf wrote:

> How do I set the language of the GUI? With R 2.1.0 it suddenly changed to
> German and I want it to stay English. I couldn't find any setting to change.

Which OS is this?  PLEASE do read the posting guide.

This *is* documented in the `R Installation and Adminstration' Manual,
section `Internationalization'.

If your OS is set to German, then why don't you expect R to follow?
If you don't want German menus, do you want German months (as has happened
for many versions).

For Windows or Linux, to just change the language of messages, set
environment variable LANGUAGE=en.  To set all aspects, set LC_ALL=en.  I
don't know about MacOS X menus.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk