[R] Invalid *.Rd in package {was "Rd.sty problems"}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 18 12:35:57 CEST 2005

    Federico> I am trying to build a new R package to submit,
    Federico> but it's failing to create a tex manual:

    Federico> R CMD check Biodem
    Federico> * checking for working latex ... OK
    Federico> * using log directory
    Federico> '/home/greatsage/Fede/R-packages/temp/Biodem.Rcheck'
    Federico> * checking for file 'Biodem/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
    Federico> * checking if this is a source package ... OK

    Federico> * Installing *source* package 'Biodem' ...
    Federico> ** R
    Federico> ** data
    Federico> ** help
    Federico> Formats: text html latex example
    Federico> * DONE (Biodem)

    Federico> * checking package directory ... OK
    ......... (everything OK)

    Federico> * creating Biodem-manual.tex ... OK
    Federico> * checking Biodem-manual.tex ... ERROR
    Federico> LaTeX errors when creating DVI version.
    Federico> This typically indicates Rd problems.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(and I think I have never seen another situation:  It will be a
 problem in of your  Biodem/man/*.Rd files !)

    Federico> I cheked the log file in the .Rcheck dir, but it's
    Federico> incomprehensible to me, so I simply copied and run
    Federico> the tex file itself. The manual won't compile
    Federico> lamenting it cannot find the Rd.sty file.

    Federico> locate Rd.sty gives:
    Federico> /usr/lib/R/share/texmf/Rd.sty

    Federico> I am completely lost... any advice? do I have to
    Federico> change some path? I am using R for Debian from the
    Federico> latest .deb files for Sarge on x86 arch.

When 'R CMD check' latexs your file it adds something like
  /usr/lib/R/share/texmf/Rd.sty to the TEXINPUTS (path) used
and you could do so as well.

Alternatively, use
	       R CMD Rd2dvi <package>
directly.

If this doesn't help you, you may need to look at the latex
*.log file and find someone to whom it's not incomprehensible,
possibly by putting it up on the web asking for help on R-devel
{because the whole issue will have become too technical for R-help}.

Martin