[R] IRIX, firewalls, configure

Tim Hoar thoar at cgd.ucar.edu
Sat Apr 16 00:10:23 CEST 2005

I have built R-2.0.1 on AIX64 V 6.5 on a machine that is intentionally
isolated from remotely connecting to the internet -- and we'd like to
keep it isolated!

I have not seen anything in the FAQ's or Install Manual about shutting
off or 'configuring out' the internet connectivity. ditto for
'./configure --help'

For some reason
> capabilities()
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11    GNOME     libz http/ftp  sockets
   FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  libxml     fifo   cledit  IEEE754    bzip2     PCRE
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE

even though http/ftp is useless on this machine:

> nrow(CRAN.packages())
trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
        cannot open URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
In addition: Warning message:
unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
Execution halted

I repeat -- I don't want to 'setenv http_proxy' and get it working --
I'd like to actually ensure just the opposite!

I am essentially just rewriting the 'check' suite so I can
see what else is/isn't working but have this nagging suspicion I am
going about it the hard way.

Thanks -- Tim

## Tim Hoar, Associate Scientist              email: thoar at ucar.edu     ##
## Geophysical Statistics Project             phone: 303-497-1708       ##
## National Center for Atmospheric Research   FAX  : 303-497-1333       ##
## Boulder, CO  80307                    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/~thoar ##