[R] n-dimensional(hypercube)distance calculation..

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 14 21:28:23 CEST 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 achilleas.psomas at wsl.ch wrote:

The `centers' are the means?  by() can find the mean of multivariate data
by group.  And dist() finds Euclidean and other distances.

However, the Jeffries-Matusita distance depends on covariance matrices,
and 50 points in 100 dims are not enough to estimate one.  Indeed my
concern is that you have so few data that either the measurements are
highly correlated (so you can just select a few) or your inferences will
be suspect.

> I am rather new in R so i would appreciate your help in my problem..
>
> I have 3 types of vegetation (A,B,C),50 measurements per class and 100
> variables per measurement.

It would be helpful to know how you have stored them.

> I would like to perform seperability analysis between these classes meaning...
>
> a.)create the hypercube from these 100 variables

Which hypercube?  If you mean the bounding box, use apply or lapply with
range().

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk