[R] package submission and binary versions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 07:53:13 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Peter E. Rossi wrote:

>> From reading the CRAN web page, it appears that you should not submit
> precompiled binary versions of your package, but rather that these
> are built for you by someone working with CRAN.  I submitted my
> package using R CMD build but without the binary flag on.  I'd like
> to have a binary version available for Windows users. Should I submit
> a precompiled binary version as well?

No, as it said.  If your package passes its tests on those platforms,
binary versions for Windows and MacOS X appear automatically (thanks to
Uwe Ligges and Stefano Iacus).  They even get updated for new R versions
(and R 2.1.0 is imminent) when otherwise new submissions would be needed.

(You could have asked CRAN at r-project.org about CRAN questions rather than
the world.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk