[R] R as programming language: references?

Jan T. Kim jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 18:54:19 CEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:01:04PM +0200, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2005 11:54 AM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at math.aau.dk> wrote:
>
> > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Federico Calboli"
> > > <f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk>

I don't know what Federico Calboli has in mind, but as for myself, upon
starting with R, I've been looking for an R language reference in the
style of the Python reference (http://docs.python.org/ref/ref.html).
The specification of the grammar and the associated semantics of a
language gives me the kind of in-depth conceptual understanding that I
like to have, and I find this more difficult to accrue for R than for
other languages. For example, I'm still not certain whether I'm able to
correctly predict how many copies of an object are created during the
execution of some code, and consequently, I'm not really confident that
my code is reasonably optimal.

I'd appreciate pointers to any (more or less hidden) gems I may have
overlooked, of course.

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |