[R] Building R packages under Windows.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at math.aau.dk
Mon Apr 11 11:08:19 CEST 2005

Duncan Golicher wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My question is the following. Has anyone put together an "idiots"
> checklist of the steps needed to build a (small personal) package
> under Windows, or documented their own experiences of building
> packages under Windows?
>
> I ask this as last week there were some very interesting comments
> regarding the advantages of putting personally written functions
> together as a package rather than sourcing them in at the start of a
> session using .Rprofile. They inspired me to try to build my own
> package for a few functions I use in teaching on my laptop running
> Windows XP . I read and reread "Writing R extensions" I  installed
> Pearl and tried build on a modified package.skeleton. I fairly quickly
> worked out I needed to do things like setting Tmpdir as an environment
> variable, but then I got stuck and frustrated and gave up. I'm sure
> that with more time I would get things working, but I don't have more
> time. Could the process be made smoother through better documentation?
> This may sound like laziness, but I do guess that there are others are
> in the same position who find that the initiial hassles of building a
> package (under Windows) leads to a negative cost benefit balance over
> less elegant  solutions.

In versions up to 2.0.1, the description is a little spread out, but the
main file you want to look at is readme.packages.  I have tried to collect
all the information into one place in the 2.1.0 release (and put it in
the R Admin manual).  As far as I recall there are no important
differences between the instructions, so if you download the beta
version of that manual and try those instructions, I would be very happy
to hear from you about anything that is unclear or incorrect.  You can
get the Windows beta build from
<http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html>.  I do not
think the beta manuals are online anywhere separate from the full release.

Duncan Murdoch