[R] Building R packages under Windows.

Duncan Golicher dgoliche at sclc.ecosur.mx
Mon Apr 11 08:58:12 CEST 2005

Hello,

My question is the following. Has anyone put together an "idiots"
checklist of the steps needed to build a (small personal) package under
Windows, or documented their own experiences of building packages under
Windows?

I ask this as last week there were some very interesting comments
regarding the advantages of putting personally written functions
together as a package rather than sourcing them in at the start of a
session using .Rprofile. They inspired me to try to build my own package
for a few functions I use in teaching on my laptop running Windows XP .
I read and reread "Writing R extensions" I  installed Pearl and tried
build on a modified package.skeleton. I fairly quickly worked out I
needed to do things like setting Tmpdir as an environment variable, but
then I got stuck and frustrated and gave up. I'm sure that with more
time I would get things working, but I don't have more time. Could the
process be made smoother through better documentation? This may sound
like laziness, but I do guess that there are others are in the same
position who find that the initiial hassles of building a package (under
Windows) leads to a negative cost benefit balance over less elegant
solutions.

Thanks,

Duncan Golicher

--