[R] NA in table with integer types

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 09:29:37 CEST 2005

NaN only applies to double values: there is no integer NaN (nor Inf nor
-Inf).  The difference is clear from

> factor(x, exclude=NaN)
[1] 1    2    3    3    <NA>
Levels: 1 2 3 <NA>
> factor(as.integer(x), exclude=NaN)
[1] 1    2    3    3    <NA>
Levels: 1 2 3

If you read ?factor it says

  exclude: a vector of values to be excluded when forming the set of
           levels. This should be of the same type as 'x', and will be
           coerced if necessary.

and as.integer(NaN) is integer NA.  So  factor(as.integer(x), exclude=NaN)
is the same as  factor(as.integer(x), exclude=NA).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk