[R] bootstrap vs. resampleing

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Apr 6 20:16:28 CEST 2005

> I understand bootstrap can be used to estimate 95%
> confidence interval for some statistics, e.g.
                               ^^^^^^^^^^

There's no such thing. You can estimate 95% CI's on population
**parameters**, which is, I assume, what you mean. If you don't know what
the difference is, stop here and consult a local statistician, as you are
out of your depth.
-----------

If you make it to here, I think you are referring to cross-validation vs
resampling.

Typically, X-validation is used to get an "honest" estimate of prediction
error rather than confidence limits for a parameter. The correctness of
bootstrapping for this purpose is based on asymptotic theory: loosely
speaking, the data distribution approximates the population distribution;
appropriate resampling (e.g. maybe stratified, moving blocks, ...) from the
data corresponds to iid sampling (or whatever is appropriate..) from the
population. It is actually a way to approximate the (itself approximate)
asymptotic sampling distribution.

AFAIK (experts, please correct) no such asymptotic theory holds for
X-validation and so it would be problematic/wrong for CI's.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box