[R] Bug? using { as a function in lapply

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue Sep 28 22:20:29 CEST 2004

Thanks for pointing out that this is already fixed in the upcoming
version of R.

Witold Eryk Wolski <wolski <at> molgen.mpg.de> writes:

:
: Hi,
:
:  > "{" <- function(x,y)y
:  > "{"(1,9)
: [1] 9
:  > lapply(1:2, "{", 9)
: [[1]]
: [1] 9
:
: [[2]]
: [1] 9
:
:  > R.version.string
: [1] "R version 2.0.0, 2004-09-20"
:
: /E
:
: Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
:
: >This seems like a bug to me.  Can someone verify this?
: >
: >First we define a function f that returns its second argument and
: >lapply it to 1:2 using 9 as the second argument and all seems well.
: >
: >Note that "{" as a function does the same thing as f, as illustrated
: >with f(1,9) and "{"(1,9); however, when we attempt to use "{" in the
: >very same way we used f in lapply, we get an error message about ...
: >being used in an incorrect context, as shown.
: >
: >I am using R on windows with the version shown at the end.
: >
: >
: >R> f <- function(x,y)y
: >R> f(1,9)
: >[1] 9
: >R> lapply(1:2, f, 9)
: >[[1]]
: >[1] 9
: >
: >[[2]]
: >[1] 9
: >
: >R> "{"(1,9)
: >[1] 9
: >R> lapply(1:2, "{", 9)
: >Error in lapply(1:2, "{", 9) : ... used in an incorrect context
: >
: >R> R.version.string
: >[1] "R version 1.9.1, 2004-08-03"
: >
: >R-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
: >https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help