[R] specifying exports for R CMD SHLIB

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 28 15:53:28 CEST 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:33:18 -0000, <martin at ist.org> wrote :

>Yes it is Windows and I'm using a cygwin version of gcc to compile.

We recommend using MinGW; that's what R is compiled with.  If you use
Cygwin, you'll pull in the cygwin1.dll, and possibly other DLLs, and
they may conflict with the R runtime library somehow.

>I thought it would be 'cleaner' to have only the functions exported
>that are intended to be called from R. It is no big deal though, I
>just wondered if I'm using the wrong format for the .def file or
>making another simple mistake.

When you call a function using .C or .Call, you should name the
package; that means there won't be collisions between your names and
the names exported by some other DLL.

Duncan Murdoch