[R] changing the number of tic marks on a plot

J josh8912 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 12:29:51 CEST 2004

Hello everyone.  Im quite new to R and have been
trying all night to simply change the number of tic
marks on a log graph...I would love a simple example
if anyone could offer one.  My plot statement looks
like this:

plot(cbind(c(minx,maxx),c(miny,maxy)),type="n",log="x",
main = "title", xlab= "dose", lab=c(2,2,7))

minx and maxx are the min and max values of x, same
goes for miny,maxy.  Once it is created, I draw three
different lines onto this basic plot.  Ive tried every
combination of par commands I can think of, but
nothing seems to change the number of tic marks.  And
how do you get minor and major tic marks?  I dont
suppose there is any automatic way to place a legend
where it covers the fewest points, is there?  Thanks
much.  John