[R] block statistics with POSIX classes

Kahra Hannu kahra at mpsgr.it
Thu Sep 23 17:42:59 CEST 2004

I have followed Gabor's instructions:

> aggregate(list(y=y), list(dp$year), mean)$y 			# returns NULL since y is a time series
NULL

> aggregate(list(y=as.vector(y)), list(dp$year), mean)$y	# returns annual means
[1]  0.0077656696  0.0224050294  0.0099991898  0.0240550925 -0.0084085867
[6] -0.0170950194 -0.0355641251  0.0065873997  0.0008253111

> aggregate(list(y=y), list(dp$year), mean)			# returns the same as the previous one
  Group.1      Series.1
1      96  0.0077656696
2      97  0.0224050294
3      98  0.0099991898
4      99  0.0240550925
5     100 -0.0084085867
6     101 -0.0170950194
7     102 -0.0355641251
8     103  0.0065873997
9     104  0.0008253111

Gabor's second suggestion returns different results:

> aggregate(ts(y, start=c(dp$year[1],dp$mon[1]+1), freq = 12), nfreq=1, mean)
Time Series:
Start = 96.33333
End = 103.3333
Frequency = 1
         Series 1
[1,]  0.016120895
[2,]  0.024257131
[3,]  0.007526997
[4,]  0.017466118
[5,] -0.016024846
[6,] -0.017145159
[7,] -0.036047765
[8,]  0.014198501

> aggregate(y, 1, mean) 		# verifies the result above
Time Series:
Start = 1996.333
End = 2003.333
Frequency = 1
         Series 1
[1,]  0.016120895
[2,]  0.024257131
[3,]  0.007526997
[4,]  0.017466118
[5,] -0.016024846
[6,] -0.017145159
[7,] -0.036047765
[8,]  0.014198501

The data is from 1996:5 to 2004:8. The difference of the results must depend on the fact that the beginning of the data is not January and the end is not December? The first two solutions give nine annual means while the last two give only eight means. The block size in the last two must be 12 months, as is said in ?aggregate, instead of a calender year that I am looking for. Gabor's first suggestion solved my problem.

Thank you,
Hannu