[R] lme RE variance computation

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Sep 21 14:31:17 CEST 2004

Hi Steve,

Estimation problems for the variance components in linear mixed models
are usually occur for two reasons:

1. Due to model misspecification, i.e., using years instead of decades
may show no variability in the slopes

2. Because the data do not support the assumptions of the linear mixed
model (i.e., positive definite covariance matrix for the
random-effects => increasing variance with time).

These may cause zero or even negative variance components. For more
info you could take a look at Verbeke and Molenberghs (2000, Section
5.6) and Searle, Casella and McCullogh (1992, Section 3.5).

I don't know the exact formulation you are using, but maybe you could
consider an analogue of you model using "gls", i.e.,

lme(..., random=~1|id)
gls(..., corr=corCompSymm(form=~1|id))

The references mentioned above are:

@Book{verbeke.molenberghs:00,
  author    = {G. Verbeke and G. Molenberghs},
  title     = {Linear Mixed Models for Longitudinal Data},
  year      = {2000},
  address   = {New York},
  publisher = {Springer-Verlag}
}

@Book{searle.et.al:92,
  author    = {S. Searle and G. Cassela and C. McCulloch},
  title     = {Variance Components},
  year      = {1992},
  address   = {New York},
  publisher = {Wiley}
}

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/16/396887
Fax: +32/16/337015
Web: http://www.med.kuleuven.ac.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm