[R] compilation failed for package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 21 10:20:53 CEST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 geir.systad at nina.no wrote:

> Hello, I am new to R on Linux (and to LINUX), running a 1.9.1 on a Linux
> MDK10.0. When updating or installing different packages, I get messages
> like this (under), the package doesn't install. Can anyone help me? I
> know this is all to little information, but I don't know were to start.
> I think there is something wrong in how or were the C++ or fortran
> compilator is installed?? Thanks, Geir S.

After some offline exchanges, the problem has been resolved. This Mandrake
10.0 installation had R installed from binary, had gcc 3.4.1, but (most
likely) binutils 2.14 that did not recognise the new --as-needed flag. For
this reason, update.packages() - this was the survival case mentioned in
the post - and install.packages() failed on compilation. The fact that
such a build system is broken is demonstrated by:

$ cat << EOF > hello.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
  printf("Hello World!\n");
  exit(0);
}
EOF
$ gcc -o hello hello.c
/usr/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--as-needed'
/usr/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Resolution by updating binutils or installing older gcc-* RPMs instead of
3.4.1.