[R] plot.Map with pattern instead of colors

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 20 14:20:58 CEST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Arne Henningsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am plotting shapefiles with plot.Map (package maptools). So far I use
> different colors for the shapes depending on the a value that belongs to the
> shape. Now, I need to produce maps only in black, gray and white for
> publication. Is it possible to fill shapes with pattern (e.g. hatched)
> instead of colors?

Not in plot.Map(). This is supported if you convert the shapefile polygons
to a polylist object (Map2poly()), then use plot.polylist() - but this may
not be your choice. Within plot.Map, I would suggest using the
RColorBrewer package and the sequential "Greys" palette, which
differentiates five grey colours very well for most media.

If you run this after example(plot.Map), it should illustrate a solution:

library(RColorBrewer)
pal <- brewer.pal(5, "Greys")
fgs <- pal[findInterval(x$att.data$BIR74, res$breaks, all.inside=TRUE)]
plot(x, fg=fgs)

for the default quantile breaks.

--
Roger Bivand