[R] Using R to send to SOAP server?

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Sep 17 22:01:20 CEST 2004

I have an R process continuously monitoring a data stream. When the
data meet certain criteria, I need to send a message to a SOAP server.

Currently I'm doing this by making a system() call to execute a perl
script, passing the message as an argument to the perl script.

I'm wondering if it can be done directly by R, and if so, whether
there might be any performance benefit.

I've looked at RSOAP, and as far as I can tell, it's designed to work
only in the other direction, that is, a SOAP server passes client
commands to R, and returns the R results to the client. If I'm wrong
about that, I'd appreciate being told so.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Don

Here are the essential parts of the perl script.

use SOAP::Lite;

## assumes one arg
$msg = $ARGV[0];

if ($msg) {
   print "[gm-nsps.pl]  sending to NSPS\n";
   $soap = SOAP::Lite
     -> uri('http://chous-devpc.eedad.llnl.gov:9000/axis/services')
       ->
proxy('http://chous-devpc.eedad.llnl.gov:9000/axis/services/NspsIncidentService')