[R] Proposal for New R List: Criticism? Comments?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 17 14:57:24 CEST 2004

Hi John et al.

I'm coming late to this thread (because of vacation),

    JohnF> Dear Brian et al.,

    JohnF> Jonathan's search site is excellent -- I use it
    JohnF> frequently -- and for some reason new users seem
    JohnF> unaware of help.search(), which, despite the fact
    JohnF> that it searches only in installed packages, I also
    JohnF> find very useful.

yes and yes.

    JohnF> A couple of comments, however: First, if help pages
    JohnF> from all packages were available at a central
    JohnF> location -- e.g., at CRAN -- help.search() could have
    JohnF> an option to search that location. Second, I still
    JohnF> feel that it would be useful to provide some other
    JohnF> way of searching the space of all available
    JohnF> functions. One idea, which I mentioned in an earlier
    JohnF> message on this thread, would be a keyword system
    JohnF> (again, different from the current set of standard
    JohnF> keywords).

\concept{}  was introduced for this

    JohnF> The keywords could be accessed by help.search()

and this happens (by default) for \concept{} entries

    JohnF> and also compiled into an index.

this doesn't happen yet.

The ``real problem'' of course is that package authors need to
write all these \concept{} entries before such an index can
really become useful.

Martin Maechler