[R] BUGS and OS X

Anon. bob.ohara at helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 16 11:56:29 CEST 2004

Jari Oksanen wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 21:29, Tamas K Papp wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 02:21:18PM -0400, Liaw, Andy wrote:
>>

>>>That's more of a question for the BUGS developers.  BUGS is not open
>>>

>source,
>

>>>so whatever binary is provided, that's all you can use.  If I'm not
>>>mistaken, WinBUGS is the only version under development.
>>>

>>I found something called JAGS, and I am still exploring it.  It
>>appears to be an open-source BUGS replacement, thought with
>>limitations.
>>

>MacOS X is a kind of unix (where the emphasis is on the "kind of"), so
>you can get and compile any source code developed for unix -- with some
>luck. One alternative is Bassist available at
>http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/research/fdk/bassist/. I just tried and found
>out that you can compile and install it in MacOS X in the usual way
>(./configure && make && sudo make install). That's all I can say about
>it. It may not be easiest to use. The current version seems to be a bit
>oldish and not quite complete, but somebody claimed that they may start
>developing Bassist again. Actually, Bob O'Hara (who usually calls
>himself "Anon." in this list) should know more, and hopefully this
>message will prompt him to tell us, too.

I don't think Andrew has even tried installing WinBUGS it on a Mac
(first problem: find a Mac).

I haven't heard about any plans to develop BASSIST further, but as it's
open source, someone else could take it up.  The BASSIST language is
very BUGS-like, so shouldn't be a big problem to learn.

To answer Ramon about BUGS and R, be patient: I think an announcement
will come soon, and I'd rather not pre-empt that.

We're drifting away from R, so can I suggest either ending this,
sticking to R, or shifting it to the WinBUGS list?  That's probably a
better forum for getting feedback on Bayesian stuff anyway.

Oh, and Jari, are you likely to submit your R: opas ekologielle to CRAN
at any time?  Hint, hint.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)

Telephone: +358-9-191 51479
Mobile: +358 50 599 0540
Fax:  +358-9-191 51400
WWW:  http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/