[R] Problem installing source packages on OS X

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Wed Sep 15 19:42:17 CEST 2004

On 15 Sep 2004, at 20:29, Aric Gregson wrote:

> I am attempting to install the Hmisc, rreport and Design packages, but
> am not able to do so. I am running R v1.9.1 on Mac OS 10.3.5.
>
> I get the same error for Hmisc (rreport is not on CRAN). It looks like
> it is trying to use g77 to compile the source package. How can I change
> the default compiler? Will this solve the problem? I cannot find a
> binary version of either package.

R is trying to build a Fortran program, and it needs a Fortran
compiler. Fortran compiler does not ship with MacOS X, but you got to
get one. See the MacOS FAQ for R. If I remember correctly, it tells you
to go http://hpc.sourceforge.net/ for the compiler.

Normally I wouldn't remember addresses like this, but just today I had
to make a visit there: I had installed g77 using fink, and that puts
its stuff into /sw instead of /usr/local. Some R routines had hardcoded
the g77 path to /usr/local/bin/g77 and so building a package failed in
the false claim of missing g77 (yeah, it was in the path).

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen, Oulu, Finland