[R] fractal dimension of an image

Rajarshi Guha rxg218 at psu.edu
Wed Sep 15 16:12:53 CEST 2004

Hello, I have a problem that I think can be solved in R but I'm not sure
how to tie things together.

I have a digital image of a crystal growth in 2 dimensions. And my aim
is to calculate the fractal dimension of the crystal. I was planning to
use the box counting method.

So I need to read in the image in R (for which I can use the pixmap or
rimage packages) and then draw a grid over at a series of resolutions
and for each grid, count how many cells of the grid are occupied by the
crystal. Since the image can be converted to grayscale, I figured that
specifying an intensity threshold would allow me to differentiate
between crystal and surrounding solution.

I know this can be done in Matlab, but since I'm more comfortable in R
can it be done in R? I found the fdim package but that calculates the
dimension for a data.frame - but I'm not sure whether this would be
feasible for my image.

Any pointers would be appreciated
Rajarshi Guha <rxg218 at psu.edu> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE