[R] R-2.0.0 CMD check . and datasets

Robin Hankin rksh at soc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 12:06:09 CEST 2004

Hello everyone

I'm having a little difficulty with R-2.0.0 CMD check.  My field is
Bayesian calibration of computer models.

The problem is  that I have a large collection of toy datasets, that
in R-1.9.1 were specified with lines
like this:

x.toy <- 1:6
y.toy <- computer.model(x.toy)
z.toy <- reality(x.toy)

in file ./data/toys.R ; functions computer.model() and reality() are
defined in ./R/calibrator.R.

[In this application,  the (toy) functions computer.model() and
reality() are the objects of inference, as
per the standard Bayesian approach.  The functions are nonrandom in
that they are deterministic but
random in the Bayesian sense.  Thus y.toy and z.toy are observations
of (random) functions].

In the Real World, one would have access to x.toy, y.toy, and z.toy
but not (of course) computer.model()
or reality().  These functions should never be seen or referred to
because they are Unknown.

So, in many of the code examples, I use  things like
"some.function(y.toy, z.toy)" . . . and  I need
y.toy and z.toy to be consistent between different functions.

I think R-2.0.0 sources ./data/toys.R *before* the files in ./R/   ;
and this throws an error in
R2 CMD check, because the functions are not found.

What is best practice to generate this kind of toy dataset?

--
Robin Hankin
Uncertainty Analyst