[R] Spare some CPU cycles for testing lme?

james.holtman@convergys.com james.holtman at convergys.com
Mon Sep 13 16:13:34 CEST 2004

I tried out your example and it abended.

It ran through 22472 times and ended with an error message that the
instruction at 0x77f5b2ab could not reference location 0x00000028.

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    1
minor    9.1
year     2004
month    06
day      21
language R

HTH
James Holtman        "What is the problem you are trying to solve?"
Executive Technical Consultant  --  Office of Technology, Convergys
james.holtman at convergys.com
+1 (513) 723-2929

                      Frank Samuelson
                      <fws4 at cdrh.fda.gov>          To:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
                      Sent by:                     cc:
                      r-help-bounces at stat.m        Subject:  [R] Spare some CPU cycles for testing lme?
                      ath.ethz.ch

                      09/13/2004 08:40

If anyone has a few extra CPU cycles to spare,
I'd appreciate it if you could verify a problem that I
have encountered.  Run the code
below and tell me if it crashes your R before
completion.

library(lme4)
data(bdf)
dump<-sapply( 1:50000, function(i) {
     fm <- lme(langPOST ~ IQ.ver.cen + avg.IQ.ver.cen, data = bdf,
               random = ~ IQ.ver.cen | schoolNR);
     cat("  ",i,"\r")
     0
})

The above code simply reruns the example from the
lme help page a large number of times and returns a bunch
of 0's, so you'll need to have the lme4 and Matrix
packages installed.  It might take a while to complete,
but you can always nice it and let it run.

I'm attempting to bootstrap lme() from the lme4 package,
but it causes a
segfault after a couple hundred iterations.  This happens on
my Linux x86 RedHat 7.3, 8.0, 9.0, FC1 systems w/ 1.9.1
and devel 2.0.0 (not all possible combinations actually
tested.)
I've communicated w/ Douglas Bates about this and he
doesn't appear to have the problem.

Thanks for any help.

-Frank