[R] Adding ranks to a repeatedly ragged array

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 10:24:46 CEST 2004

What do you mean by `a repeatedly ragged array': you haven't defined it?

There is no dataset `barley' in vanilla R.  Which one did you mean?
There is a data frame in package lattice, but that is neither an array nor
ragged.

If that is what you want, rank.lists will be a list matrix.  The easiest
thing to do is to find out the corresponding row numbers and assign there.

pos <- with(barley, tapply(1:120, list(site=site, year=year), na.pass))
barley[unlist(pos), "ranks"] <- unlist(rank.lists)