[R] Proposal for New R List: Criticism? Comments?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 10 16:56:51 CEST 2004

Dear Brian et al.,

Jonathan's search site is excellent -- I use it frequently -- and for some
reason new users seem unaware of help.search(), which, despite the fact that
it searches only in installed packages, I also find very useful.

A couple of comments, however: First, if help pages from all packages were
available at a central location -- e.g., at CRAN -- help.search() could have
an option to search that location. Second, I still feel that it would be
useful to provide some other way of searching the space of all available
functions. One idea, which I mentioned in an earlier message on this thread,
would be a keyword system (again, different from the current set of standard
keywords). The keywords could be accessed by help.search() and also compiled
into an index.

Regards,
 John