[R] Installing packages on OS X

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 13:22:49 CEST 2004

Here's my guess:

R CMD INSTALL installs to .Library, and does not look at R_LIBS unless set
in its environment.

install.packages() installs at .libPaths()[1], and uses all the library
trees available.  So if you have R_LIBS set in ~/.Renviron (as I have), or
.libPaths() set in .Rprofile or elsewhere, you need to set R_LIBS in your
shell before calling R CMD check (l/case).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk