[R] factor always have type integer

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Sep 8 22:00:10 CEST 2004

?data.frame says:

Details:

     A data frame is a list of variables of the same length with unique
     row names, given class '"data.frame"'.

     'data.frame' converts each of its arguments to a data frame by
     calling 'as.data.frame(optional=TRUE)'.  As that is a generic
     function, methods can be written to change the behaviour of
     arguments according to their classes: R comes with many such
     methods. Character variables passed to 'data.frame' are converted
     to factor columns unless protected by 'I'.  ...

(Note that last sentence.)  I believe that answers your question.

Best,
Andy