[R] Error when running configure on xeon with r-1-9-patched

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Tue Sep 7 10:31:31 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 20:18, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm having a problem configuring R-1-9-patched on a Intel Xeon machine
> running Fedora Core 2. I used svn to checkout the source, altered
> config.site to add some optimisation flags to match the Fedora rpm on
> CRAN (the flags work fine on two other P3 or P4 machines I've compiled R
> on).
>
> ./configure fails with:
>
> <snip>
> checking for long double... yes
> checking size of long double... 12
> checking whether we can compute C Make dependencies... yes, using gcc -MM
> checking whether gcc supports -c -o FILE.lo... yes
> checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... -v
> checking for Fortran libraries of g77...  -L/usr/local/lib
> -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.3
> -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.3/../../.. -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lm
> -lgcc_s -lieee
> checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... unknown
> configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> I think this is the relevant part of the log, but I heavn't copied the
> lengthy section on the variables etc that come at the end of the
> config.log file:
>
> | #define SIZEOF_INT 4
> | #define INT_32_BITS 1
> | #define SIZEOF_LONG 4
> | #define SIZEOF_LONG_LONG 8
> | #define SIZEOF_LONG_DOUBLE 12
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> | #define F77_DUMMY_MAIN _main
> | #ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
> |
> | #  ifdef __cplusplus
> |      extern "C"
> | #  endif
> |    int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
> |
> | #endif
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:25321: result: unknown
> configure:25341: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> I guess I missed some software package or something - although I checked
> that I had all the dependancies list for the Fedora 2 rpm. As I don't
> really understand the specifics of what has gone wrong here could
> someone enlighten me as to my mistake?

If you are building R, you need not just the dependencies of the RPM,
but all the packages listed under BuildRequires in the spec file, namely

gcc-c++, gcc-g77, tetex-latex, texinfo, tcl, tk
libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel, readline-devel
XFree86-devel libtermcap-devel
tcl-devel tk-devel

Make sure you have these installed.
Martyn