[R] [R-pkgs] Package foreign_0.8-0 is on CRAN

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 17:07:26 CEST 2004

There is an update for the `foreign' package now on the CRAN master and
soon on a mirror near you.

This adds support for

DBF files (by Nicholas Lewin-Koh, Roger Bivand and myself)
Systat files written on MS-DOS/Windows (by Roger Bivand)

The reasons for announcing this update are

1) People quite often ask for DBF support.

2) There is a `maptools' update that depends on getting this one.

3) We have tested many Systat and DBF files, and even created some extreme
examples of our own.  But many applications write DBF files and inevitably
there are rogue files out there, so we would appreciate seeing examples
that either do not work as expected or crash R.

The `R Data Import/Export' manual in R-patched and R-devel has been
revised to cover the new functionality.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk