[R] Random number

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at PDF.COM
Wed Oct 27 20:37:57 CEST 2004

Kunal Shetty wrote:

> thank you Sundar,Andy, Partha for your prompt reply.
>
>       as for the "%*%" is matrix multiplication problem sunder here is a sample of what i want...
>
> x <- rnorm(100,17,24) # X values
> y <- rnorm(100,7,11)  # Y values
>
> # since X and Y values are independent to get their
> # covariance need to multiply each of them with a Matrix say A
>
> A <- matrix(c(10,25,8,40),nrow=2,ncol=2)
>
>  further  i would like to assign both x and y vectors to one variale
>
>  say z <- c(x,y)
>
>   but if i do this  my matrix multiplication fail
>
>     i.e  w <- A%*%z
>  Error in A %*% z : non-conformable arguments ??
>

>     so it tired multiply the  X and Y vector individually
>
>  x<- (A%*%x)
>  y<- (A%*%y)
>

>  Error in A %*% z : non-conformable arguments ??
>

>   the error persist...sunder...
>
>   or anybody who could direct me..?

Of course this doesn't work. `A' is 2x2, `x' and `y' are 100x1, and `z'
is 200x1 (I think I even mentioned this previously). I *think* you want
something like:

z <- rbind(x, y) # now 2 x 100

w <- A %*% z # 2 x 100

If not, please provide an example of what you expect, possibly worked by
hand.

HTH,

--sundar