[R] SJava loading --error!

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 12:58:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 ram at global-analytics.com wrote:

>      I am having a problem in SJava. while loading the library I get the
> folowing error.
>
> > library(SJava)
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>         unable to load shared library
> "/usr/lib/R/library/SJava/libs/SJava.so":
>   libRSNativeJava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> Error in library(SJava) : .First.lib failed for 'SJava'
> >

>  I have j2re1.4.2_03 and  j2sdk1.4.2_02 installed in my system. I am
> using fedora core 2. I did set JAVA_HOME path.
> I don't know where I went wrong. If anyone done it sucessfully can help
> me in this case.

Did you use one of the scripts that SJava creates to start R?  If you do

R CMD ldd /usr/lib/R/library/SJava/libs/SJava.so

you will be able to ascertain what is wrong with your library paths, and
so fix it.

Please do read the posting guide and provide basic information like your
version of R and SJava.  There's a considerable potential for mismatch.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk