[R] How to calculate Adjusted SS

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Oct 26 15:19:45 CEST 2004

Seems like noone has responded (at least publicly), so I'll give it a stab.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by `adjusted SS'.  (I believe it was Bill
Venables who said something like `There's only one type of SS.')  Prof.
Fox's `car' package has the Anova() (note the capital `A') function that
computes different `types' of SS.  However, if you want to estimate variance
components, lme() in either the `nlme' or `lme4' package is probably more
suitable.  They can estimate variance components by either ML or REML.
Sounds like you're trying to use the moment estimators (aka ANOVA
estimators) of variance components, which is fairly old technology, I
believe.

HTH,
Andy