[R] building a package under windows

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 19:45:03 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Gilles GUILLOT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a package of my own which seems to work fine under linux.
> I want to make a compiled version for windows.
> (I work with windows 2000 and R 2.0)

There is no such version of R.

> I have followed the steps described in the file
> readme.packages (in the top-level directory of the binary installation)

Clearly you haven't, as you don't have latex in your path, and I don't
think you have the proper compilers either.

> and I had a trouble at this step (which aim is not documented):

Yes, it is: it makes the libraries libR.a libRblas.a!  Pretty
self-explanatory don't you think?

> C:\Program Files\R\rw2000\src\gnuwin32>make libR.a libRblas.a
> dlltool -k --as as   --dllname R.dll --def R.exp --output-lib libR.a
> make: *** [libR.a] Error 255

So something is wrong with your compiler installation (if you have one),
for dlltool or some of its components are missing.

> But still, I tried to build my package by
> C:\Documents and Settings\guillot\Mes documents\package>Rcmd check geneland
>
> and got :
>
> * checking for working latex ...latex: not found

and you are missing some more tools.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk