[R] printing ISO/8859-1 characters

Halldor Björnsson halldor at vedur.is
Mon Oct 25 18:53:38 CEST 2004

Hi,
I ran into an odd problem with the print command for R-2.0 on a windows
machine.

The icelandic character thorn (þ,Þ) which is included in in the Latin-1
character set [iso/8859-1 char# 222 (upper case) and #254 (lower case)]
prints out incorrectly. Instead of getting the correct
character I get the octal codes for upper and lower case thorn (\336 or
\376). This only happens on a windows machine, but not on a linux box.

This is not some problem generic to the Latin-1 characters. I get
all accented characters correctly and also the character eth (?Ð).
Its only thorn thats problematic...

This problem also shows up on the commandline a <-"Þ" works
ok, but print(a) or just:
returns the octal number.

However, when using THORN in plotlabels it works fine.

If anyone knows how to fix this I would be very happy to hear from them...

Thanks
Halldor