[R] grouping for lme with nested repeated measurements

F Z gerifalte28 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 08:24:48 CEST 2004

A variable is considered to be nested when it is unique within that
combination.  i.e. if your measuring Apparatus was different at each sample.
  Hence, as Lorenz suggested it is reasonable to treat Apparatus as fixed,
specially if you are considering making comparisons between the 2 apparatus.

I hope that this helps

Francisco