[R] Installing packages on Debian linux

Gorjanc Gregor Gregor.Gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Mon Oct 25 00:04:30 CEST 2004

Hello R users!

I am running R on windows and linux (Debian). Until recently I found
the function

install.packages('R-package_name')

which is just great and simple. It is standard for installing packages
for me under windows. Under Debian linux  I got used to installing packages
vie apt-get tool and also R CMD INSTALL. As I can see R is using the
same/similiar packaging system (dependencies, ...) as Debian. Is it wise
to mix all three methods?

Which method is prefered for installation of R packages under Debian linux?
- apt-get install R-package_name
- install.packages('R-package_name')

I actually never tried with install.packages under linux. Where does it put
the filesm under /usr/local or standard path?

Thanks!

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor GORJANC

University of Ljubljana
Biotechnical Faculty       URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si
Zootechnical Department    email: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si
Groblje 3                  tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
SI-1230 Domzale            fax: +386 (0)1 72 41 005
Slovenia