[R] bquote inside a legend

Jean Eid jeaneid at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 22 15:20:53 CEST 2004

I am trying to automate an outide of the plot region table that has the
correlation coef. of the various variables in the plot. I am currently
using bquote to get the greek/latex representation of $\rho$. what I want
so what I have is the following

  rhoa <- cor(x, data1$No.Msa.Hosp)
  rhon <- cor(x, data1$N.Not.Profit.msa)
  rhop <- cor(x, data1$N.Profit.msa)

 temp <- bquote(list(rho["Not-profit]==.(rhon),rho["Profit"]==.(rhop),
                rho["All"]==.(rhoa)))

everything works fine but the problem is that the following legend call
  legend(par("usr")[2]-a1,3*par("usr")[3]-b1,ex12, ncol=2)

does not respect the ncol argument. I am guessing it is respecting it but
bquote is of dimension 1 i.e just a big string. Does anyone know of a way
to break this into two columns

Thank you