[R] matrix of eigenvalues

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil at acelerate.com
Tue Oct 19 14:31:51 CEST 2004

Christian Jost wrote:

> I thought that the function
> eigen(A)
> will return a matrix with eigenvectors that are independent of each
> other (thus forming a base and the matrix being invertible). This
> seems not to be the case in the following example
> A=matrix(c(1,2,0,1),nrow=2,byrow=T)
> eigen(A) ->ev
> solve(ev$vectors)

I guess eigen tries to get independent eigenvectors, butr that is not
always possible, and your matrix is a case of that.
Note that all eigenvectors of A are a multiple of (0,1)^T, so there
cannot be two independent ones.

Kjetil

--

Kjetil Halvorsen.

Peace is the most effective weapon of mass construction.
               --  Mahdi Elmandjra