[R] Problem Compiling R-2.0.0 on Linux Alpha

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Oct 16 10:33:19 CEST 2004

"Prasad, Rajiv" <Rajiv.Prasad at pnl.gov> writes:

> Error in "names<-.default"(`*tmp*`, value = c("R", "Platform", "Date",
> :
>         names attribute [4] must be the same length as the vector [3]
> Execution halted
> make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home1/rajiv/software/src-7.2/R-2.0.0/src/library'
> make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home1/rajiv/software/src-7.2/R-2.0.0/src'
> make: *** [R] Error 1
>
> Does this indicate a problem with R, or something in my system
> installation?  A search on R help list archives did not turn up this
> particular error.

Specific to your architecture at least (not too many Alphas around,
but this works elsewhere). It's a pretty odd bug: It would seem to
come from inside .split_description (tools/R/admin.R) where it would
indicate that the Built field has less than three "; " separators, but
the paste construct in .install_package_description that creates the
field does seem to put them in. One conjecture is that a newline
sneaked in somehow...

I'd first look for malformed DESCRIPTION files in your build
directory, then maybe insert some debugging code into
.split_description (e.g. print(sys.status());print(Built) immediately
before the names<- bit).

Are you doing this in a clean directory, btw, or might you possibly be
picking up bits of a previous build?