[R] Testing for normality of residuals in a regression model

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Oct 15 17:19:05 CEST 2004

Quite right, John!

I have 2 additional questions:

1) Why test for normality of residuals? Suppose you reject -- then what?
(residual plots may give information on skewness, multi-modality, data
"anomalies" that can affect the data analysis).

2) Why test for normality? Is it EVER useful? Suppose you reject -- then
what?

(I am tempted to add a 3rd question -- why test at all? -- but that is
perhaps too iconoclastic and certainly off topic. Let the hounds remain
leashed for now.)

Cheers,

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box