[R] fidelity of generated raster images (R and perl)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 14 17:56:41 CEST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Scott Harrison wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Goal: use R to turn a matrix of 1's and 0's
>           into a corresponding image (e.g. png)
>           of black and white pixels.

Maybe use the write.pnm() function in the pixmap package:

> try1 <- matrix(0, nrow=100, ncol=100)
> try1[upper.tri(try1)] <- 1
> write.pnm(pixmapGrey(try1), file="~/tmp/try1.pbm", type="pbm")

should do it (but as an ASCII file, bits are not so easy to do one by
one). You need to watch which row order is used if the matrix and image
row orders are to "look" the same. This is assuming that you don't
actually need to use a graphics device, but have an R matrix object you
need to represent.

Another package you could explore is rimage, which looks relevant.

Roger