[R] R: r course

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 13 09:12:15 CEST 2004

`second year statistics students' is rather imprecise, but I will guess
these are undergraduate statistics majors.  However, the book by Nolan &
Speed listed in the R FAQ would seem to be at about that level and is
rather close to your description.

@Book{Nolan.Speed.00,
  author =       {Deborah Nolan and Terry Speed},
  title =        {Stat Labs. Mathematical Statistics Through Applications},
  publisher =    {Springer},
  year =         2000,
  address =      {New York},
  ISBN =         "0-387-98974-9",
}

I've also used examples from

@Book{Ramsey.Schafer.02,
  author =       {Fred L. Ramsey and Daniel W. Schafer},
  title =        {The Statistical Sleuth. A Course in Methods of Data Analysis},
  publisher =    {Duxbury Press},
  year =         2002,
  edition =      "Second",
  address =      {Belmont, CA},
  ISBN         = "0-534-38670-9",
}

and

@Book{Fox.02,
  author =       {John Fox},
  title =        {A {R} and {S-PLUS} Companion to Applied Regression},
  publisher =    {Sage Publications},
  year =         2002,
  address =      {Thousand Oaks, CA},
  ISBN =         "0-7619-2280-6",
}

in courses to graduates based on case studies.

It depends what you mean by `R programming', too.  Almost all the
statistics our third-year students (let alone second-year) know can be
done by direct calls to existing R code.  (The third years use R as from
last year, and this allows topics such as robust estimation and smoothing
to be covered.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk