[R] problem with lapack.so under Debian Sid

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 12 21:22:26 CEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 10:46:09AM -0700, Christian Fiebach wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am sorry to bother you with this.
>
> I just upgraded yesterday to R 2.0.0 (using apt-get under Debian Sid), and
> now have problems running e.g., summary(lm(...))
>
> the lm is calculated, but the summary statement gives me the following
> error:
>
> Error in La.chol2inv(x, size) : lapack routines cannot be loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> unable to load shared library "/usr/lob/R/modules/lapack.so":
>   /usr/lib/Pentium4_SSE2_512KB/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: ieeeck_

Is that the liblapack, i.e. do you actually have a Pentium IV ?  It could be
that this isn;t R specific, but related to the choice Debian gives with
respect to lapack and blas libraries.  You could try to downgrade to the
refblas3 and lapack3 packages.

We should probably continue this off-list.

Dirk

> I searched through the archives, but unfortunately I am just not
> LINUX-knowledgeable
> enough to understand the discussions concerning the algebra libraries.
>
> Following an older mail to this list, I did
> ldd /usr/lib/R/modules/lapack.so
> everything looks fine except probably for the first line, which reads
> libR.so => not found
>
> I would appreciate any hints on how to fix this problem!
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Christian
>

> --
> Christian Fiebach, PhD
>
> Department of Psychology &
> Helen Wills Institute of Neuroscience
> 132 Barker Hall, MC# 3190
> University of California, Berkeley
> CA 94720-3190 Berkeley, USA
> fon:  510-642-2839
> fax:  510-642-3192
> web:  http://fiebach.org
> email: mailto:christian at fiebach.org

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx