[R] memory in R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Mon Oct 11 21:37:51 CEST 2004

yyan liu <zhliur <at> yahoo.com> writes:

:
: Hi:
:   I am doing a MCMC algorithm which is well known to
: consume much computer memory. And I have a problem
: everytime I run my R program. It stopped at certain
: iteration and says "can not allocate a vector of 19
: kb".
: It seems that the computer's memory has been
: exhausted. However, it is said that after each
: iteration the objects (such as a huge matrix) can be
: set to NULL. And the memory will be released so the
: program will consume as much memory as before. I
: wonder how to do that, that is, set the object to be
: NULL. Say, A is a matrix in each iteration. I just
: need to write A<-NULL ?? And this approach really
: works?
:   Thank you very much!
:
: liu

Instead of, or in addition to, fighting with garbage collection,
you might be able to find some combo of the command line options
that allow you to run straight way.  See ?Memory and play with the
various options to R such as:

  --min-vsize=400M --min-nsize=6M